Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"A WORKING MUSICIAN'S REVIEW" - AMERICAN IDOL TOP 11, TAKE 2 (3/30)

For the newbies, I'm Darci Monet and I make music and teach people to sing for a living. I have two albums out, I perform all over L.A., I've sung backup for some super cool people, I've won a few awards for songwriting and some of my students are making great careers for themselves. Also, I am making my very first music video, which I am describing as a "video love letter to the world"!  My production team and I would love for you to keep up with our progress on our Facebook page.

I've been watching American Idol since season one and kvetching about it since season two. I do "drive-by reviews"...one watch, first impression critiques (cuz you don't get do-overs in concert). Thank you for reading, and please feel free to pipe in with your opinions, even if they disagree with mine -- just keep it on a grown up level. Thank you! Winking0048

___________________________________________

ELTON JOHN TUNES, WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!! 167shsx

Don't mess it up, kids. Indifferent0027

Scotty's up first with "Country Comfort"...gee-tar and everything. Well...I just can't say anything negative about this kid ever. Ok, except that last basement note was slightly sharp but that's just being nit-picky cuz he knows who he is and he knows how to give that to the audience and he passes with flying colors every time. He's a natural. He could get voted off tomorrow and I think a bidding war would break out. It's done. 

Hmmm...Naima's made a reggae tune out of "I'm Still Standing." Hmmmm. I didn't hate it at all, I just felt like she could have gotten revved up a little sooner. Reggae's not about flashy vocals but American Idol is, and she has the ability to hear and sing jazz licks so I think throwing some in may have been a benefit. Her performance style reminds me a little of Gwen Stefani back in the Tragic Kingdom days. I disagree w/Jen and Randy...I thought the style worked for the song, she just didn't sell it enough is all.

The Taco Bell dogs next door have been barking for a straight hour and a half. I'm just about willing to stick a fork in each ear to make it go away. Mad0235

Here comes Paul with the classic "Rocket Man." Oh Paul...I do love you, but just not this song on you. Here's the thing about Elton John's songs...melody is king and if your voice isn't built to handle such a thing then you're gonna have trouble on this particular theme night. When Paul's in his element he's a superstar - this is just not his element. He probably should've picked an up-tempo where he could play more on his quirky strengths. Still think he's a great performer, though. And that suit...nice nod to Sir Elton's flashier days.

Ryan...what's up with your hair tonight? Kinda makes me wanna beat you up after school or something. Eek.

Hey Pia's doing a ballad...WHAT??? ARE YOU KIDDING???!!! I NEVER SAW THAT COMING!!! Indifferent0009 Well...I'm sick to death of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" but I have to say that it was refreshing to hear a female do it for a change. She once again sang her patootie off and as always looked stunning (sick outfit!). And I did feel like she brought a little bit more emotional connection to it than she has so far. But still...there's an "I-love-you-don't-touch-me" vibe that's got to be cracked. MAKE ME CARE, PIA! SING LIKE YOU MEAN IT!!! When you finally do...it's gonna be on like Donkey Kong. Viva Italia!

Poor Stefano and his super tight pants. I'm just really upset about that for him. Whistle He's singing "Tiny Dancer." (Does anyone realize Elton John has WAY more songs than the ones we've heard so far tonight?) Well, he worked HARD to keep those pretty eyes open tonight and work the stage...good for him. He's just so freakin' adorable, I want to toss him over my shoulder and take him home and make him my famous spaghetti and meatballs. Not sure I loved this song on him, there are plenty of others that would've fit his voice better and allowed his natural soulfulness to shine through. A good job, but not sure it'll be enough to keep him for another week if he was in the bottom three last week. Viva Italia anyway!

Steven hears what in Stefano's...Broadway??? Wha huh...??? Smiley-think005 Mr. Tyler's clearly never been to a cabaret. Or even a Broadway show for that matter. 

I have a horrible feeling Lauren's gonna sing "Candle In The Wind." Ugh. UGH! It's really not fun to be right all the freakin' time, people. Eyes KILLER dress. But I was completely, hopelessly bored. It's not like she didn't sing it well...she really took great care with it vocally, but I didn't feel it. Maybe cuz I hate this song. Maybe I'm getting jaded cuz everyone's so talented this year. Sorry judges, I just didn't see what you did. 

James, please my child, KICK THIS SNOOZER OF A SHOW UP A NOTCH! Oh I knew you would do "Saturday Night's Alright." YEAH!!!! SPLITS OFF THE STEPS! FLYING MIC STAND! FLAMING PIANO! OUT OF TUNE HIGH NOTES! 1zvbb13  Oh well, I really didn't care about that last little bit. That was a MUCH needed infusion of fun. He's so comfortable doing what he does...the song fit him like a glove. Made me miss my rock chick days (and my rock chick figure). James doesn't quite have the impeccable control of Adam Lambert but he sure brings as much fun. Thumbsup

Jasmine...er Thia...is going to sing "Daniel." Shocker, a slow tune. Again...did ANYONE actually LOOK at the Elton John catalog? Okay, shut up Darci, that was lovely. Really, really lovely. Beyond her years. Still the slightest hair consistently under pitch but maybe it wasn't enough for the average joe to notice. She told me the story and she made me care. Well done, Little Bit. 

Casey's gonna sing "Your Song." *sigh* zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Okay, shut up again, Darci. Cuz that was NIIIIIIIIIIIICE. Tender, with some grit at just the right spots, not overdone and charmingly performed. Excellent switch up. I hope that was enough to save him.

My nail polish matches JLo's dress. Just in case anyone was wondering.

A softer, gentler Jacob is up next? I can't take any softer and gentler ANYBODY. Okay maybe I'll make an exception because I absolutely ADOREADOREADORE "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word"!!! Crush (Trivial side note: this song was pitched to Joe Cocker originally and he turned it down. He ended up recording it years later on "Two Rooms," a mostly excellent tribute to the music of John and Taupin put out in the early 90's. Look it up!) Aw jeez. Like Jennifer Hudson did when she was on this show (and still does whenever she sings), there's something in Jacob's voice that puts a lump in my throat immediately. Where I come from we call that an annointing. I can't describe it and I know a lot of people will disagree. Maybe I'm just having an emotional day and can relate a little too well to this song presently. Regardless, he did his job. To be fair, the front end I didn't love all that much, there was weird diction going on, but it didn't take much for him to make me fuggedaboudit. It worked and it made me want to watch it again. JHud is the only other contestant that's ever made me rewind.

Haley closes with "Benny & The Jets," which is such a fun song. Seriously I LOVE her voice. LOVE. She put some STANK on that song!!! YES!!! I wish the band had upped it a notch to match her but that didn't seem to deter her at all. Plus she wasn't Hunchback Haley tonight which made me REALLY happy. One of my favorite performances of hers, everything fell into place tonight. Suh-weeeeet. Bravo! 16a3c6a

Oh yay, it's over. Even a bunch of good singers can't make an endless night of ballads work, people! No idea what will happen tomorrow night, but I'm pretty sure it won't be as uplifting as last week's elimination show. No 

Sweet dreams, errbody! Kiss

No comments: